The young learners we have in our classrooms nowadays are digital natives. It means that they were born during or after the general introduction of digital technology. They are familiar with computers, mobile devices and internet from an early age. I have been using the Ipads in my Kids group and they simply love it!
For the first activity I used Educreations. We were practicing vocabulary related to the beach, but the teacher can adapt and use this activity for any kind of vocabulary practice. Here is the activity:
· - Take the Ipads beforehand and open the app (Educreations).
· - Make it ready-to-use (click on “new project” and you’ll see a blank page).
· - Make sure Educreations is logged in. So, it’s easier to access the students’ projects later and share or embed it on the web.
· - Start your routine: Circle Time.
· - After doing the activities you have prepared for the day (songs and chants) use the Ipads to review content. In this case: vocabulary.
· - The children are already on the floor.
· - Divide them into pairs and explain they are going to work together, taking turns.
· - Open your Ipad (before giving the kids their devices) and show them how they have to proceed.
· - Tell them you’re going to speak up a word and they´ll have to draw it. (model)
· - After drawing they have to touch the REC button and say the sentence using the word. (model)
· - They have to pause touching the REC button again. (model)
· - On the bottom of the page, right side, they touch the arrow that goes to the next blank page. (model)
· - Everybody waits for the second word.
· - Use the same procedure for the rest of the words.
· - After the last slide you have to save their projects. (Ask your aid for help)
· - Save the project with the students’ names and the class. (e.g.: Maria and Julia – K02)
· - Save it public.
· - Don’t forget to ask them to write their names on the first slide.
· - Teacher: “It’s a bucket.”
· - Students: draw the bucket.
· - Students record their voices saying: “It’s a bucket.”
· - They pause.
· - They go to the next slide.
Educreations puts the slides all together and makes a short video. They really enjoy watching their project and their classmates’ projects. Below you can see one example:
After class the teacher can access the account and click on ‘Welcome’. You’ll see all the projects saved. Click on the project you want to use and you’ll be able to share or embed it.
I have creted a digital portfolio for each one of my students using a free pbworks WIKI. This is a screenshot from one of my student’s page: